About Me

My photo
Queensland, Australia
I'm an Australian author of Contemporary Romance, Romantic Action/Adventure, and Historical fiction. I live in Queensland, Australia. www.noelleclark.net

Monday, November 28, 2011

Day 27 - NaNoWriMo

"Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart." ~ William Wordsworth

I had a 'rest day' today and went Christmas shopping.  I had to endure 34 degree heat, search for over half an hour for a car park, and then spent more money than I wanted to.  My head was still up there in my book, where it had been immersed yesterday, totally oblivious to everything as I wrote the most heartfelt musings of the book so far.  I went through tissue after tissue, trying to clear my eyes so that I could see my computer screen. 

I asked the question of my YON writing group during our weekly online write-fest, 'Does anyone else bawl like a baby when writing a sad bit in their book?'   I didn't get any answer.  The thing is, when I read a Maeve Binchy book, I bawl and bawl at the sad bits.  So, I wonder, does Maeve herself cry when she shows the reader a sad scene?

Personally, I think the sign of a good book is when it involves ALL the reader's senses, emotions and feelings.  I love to laugh in books, like laugh out loud on the morning commute train, so that everyone turns to look at the book you are reading, making a mental note that they too must buy that one.  I love to cry in a book - it clears out my tear ducts and, well I am just a big sook so it feels good.  I have cried on the train too.  It is embarrassing, let me tell you.

So, I think that it might be a good thing if the author cries.  Hopefully it will bring a tear or two to my readers' eyes when they too grow to love my characters and are sad when shit happens to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment