About Me

My photo
Queensland, Australia
I'm an Australian author of Contemporary Romance, Romantic Action/Adventure, and Historical fiction. I live in Queensland, Australia. www.noelleclark.net

Sunday, January 1, 2012

A new year of positivity

Today is the first day of 2012. When I was a child in the 1960s, only far fetched science fiction talked about such a number. I never, ever, thought I would be alive and kicking in the year 2012.

So, here I am.  What shape am I in? Unfortunately I still harbour some of the immature insecurities that I had as a little girl in the 60s. I sometimes still seek the approval of others, and I still grapple with making decisions.  However, I DO make decisions, and they often turn out to be the right ones; I DO accomplish things - big things - am i am always amazed when I do; and I do find myself going against the wishes of family and friends sometimes, occasionally having to wear the consequences, but at least being true to myself. It irks me that I still crave the approval of others so much and this causes me to live my life with a sense of turmoil and guilt, not fully realising true happiness without any cares, misgivings or worries. But that is me.
Or is it?

I read a wonderful article in today's newspaper The Sunday Mail. Titled 'Revel in the positive', the article written by Kylie Lang talks about how every year at this time we all make New Year Resolutions, and then unmercifully flagellate ourselves when we don't accomplish those goals
- you know, lose weight, give up smoking and/or drinking etc etc ad nauseum.

Kylie says that New Year Resolutions are not about behavioural change but are about hope. She says we NEED to have these little retrospective thoughts about how we can improve as human beings, whether it be our health or our relationships. She says that these desires, wishes, whatever, are good for us because they provide instant gratification, immediate 'feel good' vibes course through us, and whether or not we go on through the course of the year to  make the changes, the fact that we have looked back on our lives and seen that there are some changes, some tidying up, to be done, is a good thing and makes us love ourselves more. She says we 'feel more hopeful and in control'.

Well, reading Kylie's article this morning, on this first, beautiful, day of 2012, has given me hope, a positive outlook for the new year, and a guilt free trip of making a list of things I would like to change about me, to make me a nice person in MY eyes, to make me a more loving mother and grandmother, to make me healthier, and to make the world a better place.

Thanks Kylie, for a wonderful shrink session on a beautiful Sunday morning.  You can read the article
at http://www.couriermail.com.au/spike/columnists/kylie-lang or go to @couriermail on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment