About Me

My photo
Queensland, Australia
I'm an Australian author of Contemporary Romance, Romantic Action/Adventure, and Historical fiction. I live in Queensland, Australia. www.noelleclark.net

Monday, September 19, 2011

On Writing

“Writing is like prostitution.  First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money.”  Moliere 1622 – 1673

I met up with my fellow writing group members yesterday. What an inspirational meeting it was. We each chatted about what we were working on, and then it was heads down for two very productive hours. The time flew like it was just a few minutes. Each of us travel in to the State Library to do this, knowing full well that we could just as easily stay at home and save two hours commuting. But something magical happens when people of like minds gather together, encourage each other, and the synergy of that meeting lets the muse of each respective person merge together to create the most surprising and awesome creativity.



Annette and Jo from our group both had short stories published in the current quarterly edition of Fast Fiction. How wonderful to sit in a room with such talent. We all want to be published and success has touched our group already. Several in the group have publishers looking closely at their novels, several have finished novels, some are editing.


Me? I’m just starting my novel. But the story is one I have wanted to tell all of my life. I am so happy to finally know that it will happen. But for the session with my writerly friends yesterday, I chose to do a quick fast fiction short story. In two hours I wrote an ok story of two thousand words. It is probably not going to be the best story ever written, but I might polish it up and send it away somewhere. Maybe I too can join the ranks of the published!


I feel a buzz inside me from yesterday’s session. Our group only meets once a month, but now we will meet up weekly online, to share and encourage each other. I can’t wait. And the bonus is, it is still six weeks to NaNoWriMo!


Happy writing everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment