So, I’ve decided to share one of these recipes.
Cambodian Beef Lok Lak, or Sach Ko Lok Lak, is a very popular dish in Cambodia and involves 3 separate dishes of a marinade, sauce and a dipping sauce. It is traditionally served with rice and a fried egg on the top, and is delicious.
This recipe is taken from a book compiled by students at the Green Gecko Project in Cambodia, and showcases authentic Cambodian – or Khmer – cuisine. You can purchase this book online and they will deliver anywhere in the world. 100% of the profits from sales of the ‘Nyum Bai Cook Book’ raise money for displaced and at-risk children in Cambodia, and at only US$20, is a real bargain. This book can be purchased online at http://gifts.greengeckoproject.org/products/nyum-bai-cook-book/642/1
Beef Lok Lak
- 2 large prime beef fillets
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2 eggs
- 2 tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Lettuce (for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 4 teaspoons black pepper
- Thinly slice the onion and tomatoes into rings. Garnish each plate with a layer of lettuce, onion and finally place the tomato on top. Place to one side until ready.
- To make the marinade, mix together the garlic, soy sauce, and salt & pepper.
- Slice the beef fillet into strips, add the marinade and coat. Leave in the fridge to marinate for 10 minutes.
- To make the sauce, mix together the oyster sauce, sugar and oil.
- Heat a tablespoon of extra oil into a wok or large frying pan. Wait until the oil is hot and add marinated beef. Stir fry until brown, then add the sauce and warm through.
- In a separate frying pan, fry two eggs. When eggs are cooked, serve the beef on top of the salad and place one egg on top of each dish.
- To make the dipping pepper sauce, mix together the black pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, and lime juice. Place in small dish for dipping.
- Serve with either steamed rice of French Fries and eat and enjoy.
Anyone who makes this recipe, please let me know. I’d love your feedback. Bon appetite!